Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Pet Lions - 9/18/09 Red Herring

I didn’t have anything going on Friday, so I figured I would check out a show at the Pygmalion Festival. Ben told me that the show at Red Herring would be pretty excellent and fairly inexpensive, so that sold me (I’m super easy apparently). I saw the name Pet Lions on the line up and listened to their Myspace leading up to the show. I got there, paid my entry, hung out. Oceans played a high energy set, and then Pet Lions came out.

The band of Chicagoans was all set up and ready to play and they asked for all of the people sitting to move up. Everyone was super hesitant but once they belted out the first couple notes, a few people of the crowd came up and that turned into a handful. Their fun indie-pop tunes couldn’t keep those who moved up standing still. Songs such as Roman History and Girls of Athens especially grabbed my interest and drove me to dance. They were funny and seasoned the time in between songs by telling stories of how they had van trouble or how the lead singer/guitarist has the flu. They ended on a high note playing the song extra energetically, including the keyboardist/guitarist stepping on a near by piano while shredding. That ended the set with a big goofy smile pasted on my face. Overall, I feel like this was a super set from this eccentric group. If they ever make there way down to the C-U area again, I hope you will check out this fun-filled band.

This ended up being the only Pygmalion show that I went to due to the fact Now, Now Every Children had to drop due to illness, but if I had to choose one show to go to over again, this would be it. I picked up their ep after the set (which is just as fantastic as their set), and you too can pick up their ep for free if you join their mailing list at: http://www.petlions.com/mail/user/subscribe.php.

No comments:

Post a Comment