Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Review: Vivian Girls

Vivian Girls at Cowboy Monkey, August 29th

Between the opening blast of "All the Time" to the relatively low-key closer "My Baby Wants Me Dead", Vivian Girls packed Cowboy Monkey with an even hour of ferocious, noisy, low-key punk songs. While "All the Time" was an early highlight, the high point of the show was easily the encore, consisting of "I Believe in Nothing", "Damaged", and the aforementioned "My Baby Wants Me Dead". The instrument rotation jam (a tradition originated by Phish, if I'm not mistaken) during "Damaged" was the definitive highpoint of the show, showcasing not only Vivian Girls' playing proficiency, but also their willingness to stretch the boundaries of the punk genre itself. Lead singer/guitarist Cassie Ramone's humor was on display throughout the set, salvaging early technical issues by declaring that the band was going to get Smashing Pumpkins tattoos ("they're gonna say the world is a vampire, which is something we really believe in") and dealing with the slightly creepy 30-something guy who kept sending the band rounds of shots. Openers The Beets turned in a spirited, antifolk inspired set of songs about topics such as satan and death, while locals My Werewolf Diary (Elzie and Caleb of New Ruins) showcased a sound reminiscent of the older-acoustic driven New Ruins material.

Vivian Girls setlist:
All the Time
Surfin' Away
Wild Eyes

The Desert
Can't Get Over You
You're My Guy
Double Vision
Tension
Out for the Sun
The End
Second Date
Never See Me Again
Before I Start to Cry
When I Get Home
Tell the World
---
I Believe in Nothing
Damaged (instrument rotation jam)
My Baby Wants Me Dead


The Vivian Girls and Beets sets were recorded, and pending band approval, will be posted here to download

(photos: Sarah, Ben)

1 comment: